An Obama volunteer knocked on my door tonight. I felt bad telling him I couldn't vote or give money since I'm not a citizen =). I did offer him a drink and food but he had to hit up a couple more houses before it got too late.
Having recently found a political cause that gets me fired up though, I have a renewed fondness for civic engagement and involvement. Despite all the efforts to raise money for outreach and tv ads, etc, I believe the most important thing is to engage people in personal conversations.
As CB told me:
Shiyan, your thoughts on the importance of one-on-one conversations, with respect to politics, are Platonic at heart:
"You cannot conceive the many, without the one." Plato in The Dialogues
This phrase is interesting to compare/contrast with our (America's) de fact motto: E pluribus unum, "Out of many, One"...
aw, America...what a great nation. Dare I say, the best nation?... Ever. (?)
hehe...maybe I'm just being inflammatory.
But, I'm happy to see that you're engaging with this thing we call, the American experiment with democracy."
Old joke on democracy vs. benevolent dictatorship =)
Old joke on democracy vs. benevolent dictatorship =)