Monday, October 20, 2008

Engaging in democracy...

So it's funny to actually be engaged in politics - not just talk about it, but actually help raise money and try to change people's minds. What a foreign concept. We don't do this where I come from.

We put up a lawn sign. I suppose it tells everyone what we're thinking about a particular issue. Do passersby judge us based on our lawn sign? We are a neighborhood of Obama signs, with a sprinkling of McCain/Palin. My favorite lawn has a McCain sign right next to an Obama sign. I love that even within the same household, people are so fiercely divided. I guess it illustrates the diversity of thought in our community.

We threw a houseparty - how quaint and yet how fundamental. Individuals, talking to other individuals - sharing their views, educating, debating, and putting their money where their mouths are. My friend Cathy was one of the lawyers on the case in May and said a few words about her experience, and what it means to her and Ellen. I got to stand up (fueled by a number of beers) and talk about how important it is for people to talk to their friends and family, about how rights come with responsibilities, and one of those responsibilities is to be an engaged, informed, voting citizen! I urged them to vote because I cannot do so myself, do donate generously, because democracy is not about enabling the majority to take away the rights of a minority group.

We've raised over $1900 in the last week - please help out!

Three steps to victory:
1) Donate - $$$ = Airtime = Ability to reach undecided voters
2) Talk to friends and family - outreach is always local and personal!
3) VOTE NO ON 8!

blog comments powered by Disqus