Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Sports

It's funny to reflect on how sports has always been such a big part of my life - watching the Stanford women go down in today's NCAA finals was heartbreaking because even though I knew they felt way worse than me, I know what it feels like to play as hard as you can, but nothing goes right. Everyone is tight and none of your preparations seem to be helping you. On any given day, anything can happen. Or as my high school softball coach used to say, "The ball is round" which made NO sense to me - what he meant was it can go any way on any day - don't count on anything until the game is over. (Both defensively and offensively you can't let up).

And yet on days when everything is clicking, and you and your teammates are running every play in the book and its all working, those are the days you practice for. I dug up some old photos of one such day and one such season. Don't laugh at the scrumcaps - they were more for psychological comfort than anything else.



0 comments: