Monday, February 25, 2008

Rain makes you feel hard core!

Northern California was hit by a pretty big storm this weekend and I'd been crossing my fingers hoping that it wouldn't be too wet for our Saturday practice. Saturday morning dawned grey, overcast and wet and I was pretty slow off the mark as I got on my bike to practice. I speed through downtown Menlo Park and could barely feel my fingers, cursing myself for not getting full gloves thinking that I would overheat. No one is awake except for a few hardy walkers with their dogs, and I'm thinking why on earth am I awake, let alone clipped into a bike in lycra shorts?

We have a pretty brisk hour+ ride up Sandhill and I'm starting to wake up a little - I'm almost looking forward to the pool workout because the water will be warm in comparison the windy bike conditions. And you're already wet so rain doesn't really matter. Boy was I in for a shock.

I'd convinced Jackie that it would be better for us to swim in the Pro group (we're at the middle of Pro and Elite) and swimming up would push us more and give us a better workout. We were getting worked! We swam 2300+ yards in about an hour, with a bunch of 50s, 100s and 200 sprint sets. I thought I was going to pass out in the pool. I realize now that when I swim on my own, I kind of daydream and go at my own pace. No such luxury here - there's always someone in front of and behind you, and my tiny competitive streak makes me want to go faster, regardless of how crappy I feel.

When we got out of the pool, I couldn't believe I still had to ride my bike home! But the pool receptionist gave me a Cliff Bar sample and I was able to make it home and to brunch though I was exhausted all day long (fell asleep during Act 1 of Rigoletto at Opera San Jose). Need to keep pushing through!!!

2 comments:

f00 said...

shiyan, since when have you been just a tiny bit competitive at anything?! that made me snigger a lot. i still like you. hope all's well...

KungfuPanda said...

Thanks Foo, thanks a lot. I vacillate between reminding myself that I'm here to get fit and just finish and thinking I want to be decently competitive!