Wednesday, November 5, 2008

If it were easy, it wouldn't be worth fighting for


It's sadder than I could've imagined. Vickie and I spent all oflast night in a funk, trying to distract ourselves, but knowing thatthe math wouldn't work out in the end. They won by 400,000 votes.

So far, 5.2M Californians have said "I don't believe LGBT folk areentitled to the same rights as me. And I will vote to enshrine thatbelief in the Constitution. I will mar what should have been a happy,historic night with this ugliness."

But not all is lost. Just as it has taken 40 years from the lastinter-racial marriage law to the election of a mixed-race AfricanAmerican president, I have hope that things will change for the better.It will just take longer. And in the meantime, we just keep continuingto be hardworking, taxpaying residents (notice I didn't say citizens=))and we educate people on how many gay people they know, and workwith, and we urge them to tell us to our faces that they believe thatwe don't deserve the same rights.

There is so much more that I could say, write, argue, lament - but I'm tired, and disappointed.

Posted by email from Deploy! (posterous)

0 comments: