Source: WikipediaWasn't quite able to make it to the pool last night, but I'll be making it up on Friday, our designated "day off". Instead I settled for a quality indoor ride - on my lime green trainer, with a brand new episode of "Heroes" playing and Murray huddled in a corner of the room looking suspiciously at my new exercise set up.
I'm testing out a new blog suggestion service called Zemanta which analyzes the text of your blog post and gives suggestions in the form of relevant links and pictures. So far the suggestions are rather hilarious. Here are some that have been generated based on my prior paragraph (the picture of limes, and a link to the TechCrunch review of the service).
I had breakfast this morning with a longtime Valley executive, and was stricken by how much passion he had for a) new business ideas and b) taking his rich experience and finding the right opportunities to use it in a way that could benefit more people. The longer I live in Silicon Valley, the more I'm surprised and delighted by people's constant enthusiasm for new projects, innovation and of course wealth generation, and also by this feeling that after all the good fortune that one has had, one must give back to the community in some form or another.
As I meet more entrepreneurs, I'm always asking myself if I have a company inside me, waiting to be started, and I think increasingly, that if I do have a startup inside, it would be a non-profit, or a socially-conscious for profit enterprise. I think being in venture makes you realize how hard it is to start a successful company, and while I love my job, and am jazzed by the technologies we see everyday, I have a hard time thinking of a technical problem that I'm a) qualified to solve, and b) would wake up excited to solve everyday.
Great blog post by Mark Cuban on what it takes to build a great startup:
http://www.blogmaverick.com/2008/03/09/my-rules-for-startups/
Also below is the Jason Calacanis post on startup success - a little more controversial:
http://www.calacanis.com/2008/03/07/how-to-save-money-running-a-startup-17-really-good-tips/
Suggestions generated by paragraph 3:
It's now generating pictures of various company headquarters (Intel, Oracle, HP) in Silicon Valley, but won't let me insert a second picture. I think I'll keep the one of the limes. The links aren't really updating - it just keeps referencing other articles about the suggestion service itself. I will refrain from naming it just to see if it comes up with anything new....Nope. Ok. That's all for today then...I'm surprised it didn't generate article on Mark Cuban or the Mavericks or Jason Calacanis or Mahalo. Ah well, its in Alpha. It does generate tags on all the things listed above though...oh wait - now the limes went away and we've got a photo of Jason. Nuts. I can't get the limes to come back. Zemanta - I want to be able to insert multiple pictures in a single post!!! Now all I have is this lame picture of the Googleplex. Bah.
Thursday, March 27, 2008
More indoor biking
Labels:
Murray,
Silicon Valley
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment